Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Halloween From Long Ago

My friend and I, one Halloween,
Were just sitting on the couch,
When the spirits jumped our afternoon
And turned the lights right out!

The power was out! And you may say
That frightens nearly no one,
But even you, my dearest reader,
Would be scared to your very buns.

We sat there, stunned, my friend and I,
In pure and total black,
Until he spoke, with nervous shake,
"Let's head out to the back."

Something must have happened,
So we reasoned in the house,
And we tiptoed out the door
Far less quiet than a mouse.

"Now wait a moment, mister!"
So you say with quite a sneer,
"Why all the caution? Nervousness?"
Well sit and listen, dear.

The ghosts were out this Halloween,
As were the snipers, too.
Yes, snipers, just as I said,
Were hiding, so we knew.

I was impressed, how dark it was
On such an afternoon.
After all, it was just past
An hour that most call two.

The shed was open! It must be where
The sniper hid in wait.
We snuck up, masked by the wind,
And slammed it in his face!

But wait! The cracking from the trees
Inside the forest due west,
Gave clearest indication
That there was another left.

And so we ran! My friend and I
Took off toward the home,
Detoured around the workshop
To keep our position unknown.

And then we saw what froze our bones
And chilled us to the ears.
A dartboard left in the driveway
Confirmed our greatest fears!

It was a warning: Just watch out
You kids hiding inside.
I'm a sniper, you're in my sights,
I know where you reside.


That Halloween we both found out
That someday we'll get sniped.
And still we wait, my friend and I,
For that final goodnight.

Yet, sometimes I wonder,
If snipers are really real?
It works for zombies, why not try?
Psh, snipers, what's the deal?

1 comment:

  1. This is one of the best poems ever because I totally know what you're talking about. I remember this day, it was scary. Great poem.

    ReplyDelete