Sunday, October 16, 2011

Clerihews

Hi friends. I thought I'd show you all a kind of poem I learned about the other day in one of my education classes. It is called a clerihew. They are fairly easy to write and are often meant to be absurd or very funny. Here are the characteristics of a clerihew:
  • It is biographical and usually whimsical, showing the subject from an unusual point of view; it pokes fun at mostly famous people
  • It has four lines of irregular length and metre (for comic effect)
  • The rhyme structure is AABB; the subject matter and wording are often humorously contrived in order to achieve a rhyme
  • The first line contains, and may consist solely of, the subject's name.
For example, here's one I found on Wikipedia. It kind of breaks the last rule listed above, but I liked it best of all the examples:
Did Descartes
Depart
With the thought
"Therefore I'm not"?
Okay, so you've got the idea. Here's mine:

Thomas Edison
Learned his lesson
After 99 experiments in the dark,
Wow! What a spark!

2 comments:

  1. Haha what a fun concept! I sense an FHE coming on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. This would be a fun FHE activity! I hadn't thought of that.

    ReplyDelete